Sunday, June 15, 2008

Man forgets but God REMEMBERS

Genesis 30:22 - Then God remembered Rachel; he listened to her and opened her womb.

Genesis 40:23 - The chief cupbearer, however, did not remember Joseph; he forgot him.

What a contrast in the above two verses?

God remembered and the Cupbearer did not remember. Really, we cant compare the cupbearer with the almighty God but, yes, this makes it quite clear that the remembrance of man is no match to the remembrance of God

Many a time in our lives we keep forgetting simple things. Sometimes out of our carelessness, but more often it just seems to come as a package with this muddy casket that we bear in this world. For me at least, forgetting things has become a very bad habit that I am now carrying for more than a year now. And more of it after I stepped into my professional life.

To be more precise, let me tell you the reason which compelled me to write this article.

The other Sunday, it was me who opened doors of the quarters inside the Church premises, where I usually conduct the Sunday School classes. After opening the door, I very casually placed the keys to the inner pocket of my jacket. Time passed by - Sunday School classes got over, the Worship service came to an end and I moved out of the Church premises putting on my very cozy jacket and failing to remember that I had to give those keys back to the Churchkeeper. I would have reached half-way when my mobile phone started vibrating inside my pocket. And the voices in the others side of the phone were very concerned about the loss of keys which everyone assumed was with me. And I was so forgetful that after tapping very casually in my pockets, I replied that I am not the culprit. But thank God, I somehow felt that I should return to the Church to at least help them search for the bunch of keys which at that point of time was hidden inside my cozy pockets. I returned, I searched, overturned every nook and corner - still failing to remember that the keys were safe inside my pockets!! Ah? at last I seriously inspected all of my pockets and there it was!! The bunch of keys that eluded so many people that day was lying safely inside my pockets and all of this happened because I failed to REMEMBER!! At that point of time I felt so guilty and I started praising the ever-dependable God 's grace in our lives because He is the one who always REMEMBERS!!

After experiencing all these, it seems to me that man seems to get overflowed by so many things in his life, that there are ocassions where we try to balance our life by not remembering some things.

But that is not the case with the almighty Lord, the creator of heaven and the earth. Remembrance is an attribute that we always associate with a person on whom we can rely blindly come whatever may. And there is none better than God in whom we will find the characteristics of remembrance magnified in a supremity.

And what we see in Genesis 30:22 witnesses his never failing rememberance and love. To put it in context, Rachel was barren and was stuggling to deal with it in her life. She had essentially come to Jacob and said, "Give me children, or I shall die." I'm sure there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, especially since her sister (and Jacob's first wife), Leah, had already borne him children. I'm sure there were long prayers in the middle of the night - pleading with God to hear her, to give her an answer. And the result of those passionate prayers, did move God and what happened next gives all of us a very proof of God's unfailing rememberance.

And God Remembered...

Rachel ended up bearing two sons and a daughter for Jacob - and not just any son, but Joseph who was sold into slavery and eventually became one of the most important men in Egypt. Wow! Look at this now. The wailing and desperate Rachel, who while praying would have only pleaded for birth of a child. Never would have ever dreamt or asked God to grant her children who will shake nations. But when God remembered Rachel, He remembered not only her but His rememberance was so timely that the result of that was a birth of a son, Joseph, who still holds a very important position in the Bible History.

I too am nothing else but just another witness of God's never failing rememberance. He has always remembered me at the right time and lifted me out of many a clutches of darkness.

Thank you LORD!!

1 comment:

Rini Abraham said...

Amen Jais Chettan... Man forgets but God remembers. And btw, I am glad you stopped thinkin u're suffering from amnesia and learnt wat God wanted to teach u thru this incident. God bless!
;)